Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Eternity's slowly opening door

White hair God's crown upon my years

decades do not mute my silent tears

loves desire yearns for soul mates embrace

as life's paths treasured memories retrace.

the beauty of her passionate love, gentle and quite

makes the way clearer with each passing night

while hope grows brighter at each new days start

that He will grant me the desire of my heart

and we will sit side by side on for just awhile

as once more I shall feel the warmth of her smile

and tho my wait be past eternity's opening door

age after age I will have but to love her more.

"Most of the lines in this poem were written at Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland in January of 1959, I found it in my mom's estate and added some verses and rewrote others including references to gray hair which was not in existence in 1959 making what was originally a hope for renewed love into an old man's lament. . It is better to have loved and lost than never at all is so true. I have loved and lost a  few times but All are dear to me. I wish them well